Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Imitation: Another one of my elaborate rambling responses

At first, I was going to write a post about how much has changed in the last couple of years and how my brain was weird about organizing my memories and blahblahblah but I didn't feel like writing it because I didn't really know what I was talking about. And I only like to ramble when I know what I'm talking about, when I can label things and it all makes sense in the logos of my conscious mind.
More on that later.
The night went on, did some homework, and checked my Blogger profile. I found this lovely little post, and I was like "You know, I'm going to write in response to it."
So I shall.
Now, I haven't read Walden. You can blame me not getting into ELA until third quarter of 8th grade as the cause, but whatever. I'd always thought of it as a pretentious transcendentalist book because that's what my peers said about it. Considering I have way way too many books to read, I was like "You know, I think I'll pass."
So now I read this post and I go "Wow, should have read it. Nice one world."
The world and people around us give us the wrong impressions of things because it's the way it impacted them, and you're not going to be impacted the same way by something as the majority of the world. Your thoughts might be similar, but they are not the same. There's a key difference.
There are a cost to saying the wrong things the wrong way. There is a cost to saying that you don't think that Rebecca Black is not that bad of a person and that she has a rocking Tumblr because people are going to be like "Uhhh, I disagree, and therefore I don't like you." People do that. People judge things that aren't like them because of different values, and that's okay. Most of the time.
Things get bad when people judge and don't care how they go about handing their disapproval. There is a very costly pain associated with disapproval. Disapproval means some people don't want to hang out with you. You lose people you want to be with (friends or relationship or whatever wise). You want to be the kid that everyone likes, and by expressing your opinion, you drive people away.
If you aren't honest, you never meet the people who would give a shit about you if they really knew who you were. By being yourself (if that makes sense) and like, participating in life, people will want to be with you because they might like how you participate in life. And it's usually the most unlikely people.

So I don't think imitation is great. And yet, imitation is the reason our society is (relatively) stable. We do the things we do to keep the machine running so that we don't suffer when it screws up. Granted, alot of us DO suffer and will suffer regardless of if the machine is working properly or not, but it's a predictable suffering with an easily definable cause and effect. If you are this way, change, and you will fit in the machine and you will not suffer. This works best for those born into wealthy, well-off families, but nobody likes living in a society where nothing is predictable. Machines may have faults, but they are not nearly as chaotic as nature. (If you're interested in learning more about this, watch this)

No comments:

Post a Comment