Saturday, January 26, 2013

.

My mom's uncle was shot in Syria by a sniper. A video of his corpse was uploaded on Youtube, and showed on Al-Jazeera. My mom shared the video on Facebook along with a status in Arabic.
That may sound gregarious and improper, but for the Syrian community, Facebook isn't for screwing around and posting statuses. It's about talking about the kids and uploading memes that relate to Islam. Then the Revolutions began.
Facebook became a haven for those who wanted to know more about it, a local news source. People posted videos along with du'aa* and impassioned statements that one day the "President" will fall.
Today, my mom came home, and told me not to get angry. And then she told me what had happened. No details, but I hear her talking about him in Arabic behind me with a relative, her voice a little wobbly. I don't know Arabic well enough to decipher it all.
Actually, I just heard something. "God damn them."
I didn't know him. I saw his corpse online on a Youtube video, with a little gut spilling out of a hole at the side of his chest, but I didn't know him. I don't pretend to. My mom did.

I have nothing more to add than my Facebook status:

"That's my mom's uncle's body. He was shot in the street by a sniper in Syria. I'm not posting this to get your sympathy, I'm posting it in the hopes that someone will pull their head out of the sand and pay a little attention to what the hell is going on. This isn't politics; this is murder."

*du'aa are memorized prayers in Arabic, each used for their own purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment