Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Six Page Research Paper I'm going to have to write one way or another:The Proposal

For all of you brave souls taking AP Lang, hi. Welcome. Get ready for a miserable quarter of trying to write a decent essay in six pages, albeit one worth 40% of your grade. Don't worry, I'm doing it to.
If you're not, you lucky bastards. Also, hi.
Now, I have to choose a topic for this grand essay.
Yesterday, I came into class thinking that "Maybe I should write about apathy and Syria or something."
The next day, I left class thinking "Maybe I should write about Sailor Moon or something." I've obviously matured through the years.
I have to spell out three ideas on my proposal due next week. Here are my ideas as of write now:

a) Yes, I'm really thinking about writing a six page paper on a children's anime. To be fair, this ridiculous anime was my favorite thing in the entire world (aside from books) until I was ten, so that makes it okay? But there's a lot to hate, especially if you're a very logical person. The story makes no sense, the main characters are ridiculously caricatured to the point where their uniform colors match pretty well with their personality, the villains are stupid and have bad fashion sense. But I used to love this show in all of its stupidity and lack of coherency. I don't know why. And the funny thing is, I'm smiling to myself as I write this condemning paragraph. I guess that's why I want to write about it. There's so much to make fun of, but there's a lot to love, and I guess there has to be a reason why its so popular.

Also, can someone explain how the heck these 8th graders look like super models, and how a relatively attractive college guy fell for one of them? (Guess which one. Hint, Its the chick with the helicopter-wing hair)

b) Tumblr vs the Real World. People on Tumblr act very differently than they do in real life. I can't quite explain it in one paragraph, but there is definitely something different about how people joke around and socialize and have fun on Tumblr compared to reality. Tumblr has its own culture with its own inside references and things of obsession and faults and etc. I'm really interested in comparing the real world with Tumblr world, and trying to figure out why Tumblr culture is the way it is.
c) ...I don't know yet. But I will tell you when I think of it :)

If ya'll have any preferences for the topics listed, or just have some commentary, you can comment below or tweet at me. I probably won't take offense. (Its probably my fault for thinking of these crazy ideas in the first place haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment