Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Somebody I used to know

Disclaimer: If any of you went to middle school with me, you might know who I'm talking about. One of you specifically knows exactly who I'm talking about, while I think there might be two people familiar with the person, but never actually friends. I won't mention by name, since that's mean and pointless. But something interesting happened recently, and I wanted to blog about it. I'm not friends with this person, and haven't been for almost three years, so she won't read this blog. 
So, with that in mind, here we go.
A former friend of mine dropped out of high school. Not at HC, where I go. I haven't seen her since 8th grade graduation, but according to several of the comments after one of her more lengthy, dramatic FB posts, she has dropped out. I don't know why, although I have a guess. 
She just turned seventeen.
What.
Yeah, I'm not making this up. 
I'm not one of those people that likes to constantly display my gratitude, or rather, I like to avoid it in public. Today is an exception.
All I'm going to say was that in a time I had no friends, I met her, and joined her during quiet lunch. I thought of her as my best friend, and then found out she thought of me as a parasite. I still stuck to her until the end of that year, until when we graduated, going to different high schools. 
I'm not here to reminisce about the shaded past. That's not the point of this post. 
The point of this post is that even though sometimes I get overwhelmed by the pressures in my life and lonely and sad and sometimes ungrateful, I'm really happy about where I am right now. Yeah, I have alot of pressure from myself, my parents, and my peers to be the best person I can be, and that does cause alot of emotional turbulence and what not, but I'm not being left up to fate or my hormones to determine the course of my future. At least, in the span of three years, the seeds I've sowed and now are reaping aren't totally bad ones. They're ones filled with opportunity and hope and maybe even success. 
Of course, I'm biased. My life has been easy in that I have great parents and a great education system and supportive friends who listen and stay with me even when I'm annoying and insecure. I'm not sure she has had the same thing. Maybe that's her fault or maybe it's because of the whole seed/reaping thing. I don't know. But I know I'm really grateful not to be in her shoes right now. 
(I really hope she doesn't end up finding this. This isn't exactly a flattering post)

No comments:

Post a Comment