Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Name of This Blog

You all are probably wondering where I got my fabulous slightly pretentious blog name from. That's easy. Shakespeare.
Okay, it's a little more complicated than that. Flashback to Labor Day Weekend, and I'm in a hotel lobby. I'm waiting for my mom and dad to figure out what's going on with the reservations, and I'm on my phone. I don't remember EXACTLY how I ended up clicking this url (I think it was Austin Kleon's great Tumblr/Twitter account referencing something Shakespearean) but I was bored, rolling through the gprose without understanding a clue of what was going on, not really paying attention, when I found this:

Through tatter'd clothes small vices do appear; 
Robes and furr'd gowns hide all. Plate sin with gold,
And the strong lance of justice hurtless breaks: 
Arm it in rags, a pigmy's straw does pierce it.

I really, really liked the sound of that line, and I like the meaning of the quote. More often than not, this passage is used to discuss the judicial system and how it falls to the metaphor in the last two lines, but for me, thost first two lines win it over for me.
The way we display ourselves, personality and confidence wise, hide our flaws so much more than people whose insecurities shine out of their behavior. And plating sin with gold is our way of feeling better about the things we do, our way of assuring ourselves or making ourselves feel better about the bad things. It's how we cope with pain and
I thought that described what I'm doing with this blog and my life sometimes, so I started using it alot. I had also started to grow annoyed of my previous pseudonym, abrainyoreo, because I, as a Interneter, don't want to stumble around with a nickname I came up with in 7th grade for my AIM.
So yeah, when making this blog, I chose that username. It's a reminder, I guess. I don't know exactly what of, but its important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment